Rural Community College
Sewa International supporting Swami Vivekananda Rural Community College (SVRCC) in Keezhputhupattu village, on the border of Puducherry and Tamil Nadu.
SVRCC is engaged in the work of community education targeted specifically at school dropouts. Through the last 5 years SVRCC has trained and sent for employment over 425 young men and women – literally ‘reclaimed’, after failing or getting a poor pass in their 10th or 12th standard exams and discarded as ‘useless’. We also admit youngsters who dropped out even earlier – as it happens with girls in villages. The sixth batch of students will start their classes in July’13. Though started in a makeshift facility the College has showed visible concrete results through excellent young men and women graduating from here who have won appreciation of all stakeholders – students, parents, industrial partners and patrons. Our college has earned the recognition of being a model rural community college.
- Refrigeration & air-conditioning mechanism
- Desktop publishing
- Nursing/Health assistance
- Computerised Accounting & Office management
- Home/Building electrical wiring & servicing
- House keeping
- Automobile mechanism
- Computer hardware servicing
- Garment designing & making
- Cell phone servicing
- Retail sales management
- Technical/trade skill training that will guarantee employment,
- Life skills that teach the youngsters how to lead a purposeful, positive and happy life, and
- The value of unconditional love, nurturing care and disciplined affection
We admit students even if they have studied only up to 5thStandard. In the process we will facilitate our country’s economic superpower goal in the next two decades, which is threatened by shortage of right-skilled, employable youth.