KOSI FLOOD REHABILITATION PROJECT
SEWA INTERNATIONAL had been in the forefront serving the flood victims of river Kosi in the year 2008. Its volunteers were engaged in the rescue and relief operations and initial rehabilitation from day one in all the five districts of Bihar, namely Madhepura, Saharsa, Purnea, Araria and Supaul. As rehabilitation program, Sewa International tied up with Bihar Siksha Samiti, an organization known for its excellence in the field of education to build up a school for the children affected by the floods as well as the children belonging to the poorest of the poor community. Such children will be provided free education and residential facility in the newly inaugurated school at Bihariganj in Madhepura district of Bihar.
School building Hospital building
The newly built school was inaugurated on the 16th July 2011 by P.P. Sarsanghchalak of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) Ma. Mohanrao Bhagwat. Over 5000 people attended the inauguration ceremony. A cultural program was also organized on the occasion and was performed by children studying in Vidya Bharati Schools of 5 districts affected by floods. The school has been built on a 5-acre piece of land, which will have a football ground and a 400-meter track for the athletics.
Temple Main Gate
The ground floor built up area of the school is 8000 sq. ft. and will have additional floors very soon. The school campus also has a six bedded double storey hospital with a built up area of 6000 sq. ft. and a temple.
Bihariganj is a small town in Madhepura district, which is backward and deprived of development activities. Hence, the local residents are seeing this newly built school, hospital and a temple in the same premises as a ray of hope This integrated project will help them providing quality education, free health care and facility of worship. 250 children have already been admitted to the higher secondary school.
Education Aid: Supporting Students’ Education
This program was launched in 2005 to support the education of students from the economically weaker sections and the probable dropouts due to poverty. 550 students from 11 states have been covered so for under this scheme. Special emphasis has been laid to the North Eastern states where percentage of drop outs at primary and secondary level is more due to poverty and the difficult terrain which makes the communication demanding. Six of the North Eastern States have been covered under the education aid scheme with the exception of Mizoram. Sewa International aims to give hope to the children and help them discover themselves, compete and contribute to the national development.
Constant monitoring of the sponsored students are done by its grassroots volunteers, who monitor their educational performance, interact with there teachers and the management of the school for the all round improvement in them.
- To assist and aid meritorious but poor students pursuing higher studies and technical education, SI provides scholarships too. Some of the beneficiaries during the year 2010 – 2011 are Ravinder and Milind Thatte who received Rs. 4000 and Rs. 60,630 respectively.
- SI also supported two Institutions namely Shri. Jayendra Saraswati Ayurved College and National Institute of Mass Communication under its scholarship Programme as Rs. 153,500 and Rs. 50,000 respectively.
Salient Features of the Progamme
Jammu & Kashmir
- On 2nd September 2010 a function was organized in the premises of Sewa Bharti Ved Mandir Ambphalla to celebrate Krishna Janmashtami and in that festive atmosphere the educational aid was distributed to 17 students in the presence of Shri. R.C. Gupta & Smt. Anusuya ji.
- On 11th September 2010 on the sacred day of Ganesh Chaturthi education aid was distributed to inmates of “Vel ji Vishram Popat Boys Hostel Disha” and 5 local Katra students in the presence of the manager of local branch of State Bank of India.
- On 2nd September 2010 a function was organized in Mandi in which education aid to 8 students was distributed by Sewa Pramukh Shri Mansa Ram ji.
- On 7th September 2010 in Shimla educational aid was distributed to 12 students in the presence of Purshotam ji.
- On 11th September 2010 a grand function for Ganesh Chaturthi was organized at Solan, Bilaspur and the education aid from Sewa International was distributed among 16 students in the presence of Shri Purshotam ji and Shri Mansa Ram ji.
- There are 253 students selected from 64 places comprising 8 from Kutch, 16 from Saurashtra Region, 8 from Uttar Gujarat, 11 from Vadodara tribal area & 21 from Surat tribal & slum areas.
- Out of 253 beneficiaries 24 are landless laborers from tribal areas of Junagarh, Padra and other surrounding areas, 30 students belong to fishing community from coastal areas and 25 are slum dwellers of Uttar Gujarat.
- Each beneficiary has been given Rs.1800 for school fees, uniform, books etc.